Monday, March 22, 2010

Tau Battlesuit Conversion

Look guys,

I'm actually doing hobby and posting up some picts as proof!
I started this conversion not so long ago and finally finalised it all up.


I might add a tiny bit of detail to the side of the flamer barrels where they run next to the hand though I'm yet to make a final decision.
Painting of this mini won't be for a while as I still need to get a couple of test schemes out of the way on a fire warrior or two before I commit to something for this guy.


Total converting time on this suit was probably only about 4 hours though I'm extremely good at procrastinating and stretching this sort of time frame out to two weeks if need be :p

Now that I know what I'm doing I'll be sure to take the time to post a step-by-step tutorial on how to make on of these fellers with photos available to anyone that might be interested.



The bit that takes the longest is the assembly of the arms to the body and linking it all up with some guitar string,

Anyone that has used guitar string as a material before will know just how much it wants to spring straight back out and can do so with enough force to rip a pin reinforced arm right off a Battlesuit!
I'll reiterate this in my tutorial when it comes to pinning the flamer tubing to the arm as I found out the hard way that a simple pinning job just won't cut it!


Hope you like the picts!

Little Max

Friday, March 19, 2010

Tau Suit Conversion - WIP

Hey everyone!

I've been away from the blogosphere for some time now but that doesn't mean that the hobby ball has stopped rolling!

I've been working pretty hard on my Imperial fists lately and decided it was time for a bit of a break, so I decided to start working on my next major army project - Tau :)

(Prototype Battlesuit with Twin-Linked Flamer + Missile Pod)

I've always been a Tau player at heart ever since they landed in 2001 though ever since Forge World started releasing new Battlesuits I realised the inadequacies of the standard 'blockiness' of the 'off the shelf' Tau Suits.
I've seen many Suit conversions over the years and only a handful of those 'Tyranid-to-Imperial Guard' bit bashed minis took my fancy as actually looking any good.

One of the suits that stood out to me was a conversion by Tael where he quite nicely streamlined the XV8 Jet Pack.

(Converted "Stealth XV8" by Tael)

I'm attempting to replicate this style of streamlined Jet Pack into my XV8 Twin-Linked Flamer team though making my own modifications to the rest of the Suit including scratch built Flamers (I really dislike the standard flamers in the box).

(Prototype Head)


Hopefully he'll be finished some time soon with another two to follow him :)
Keep posted as I'll be putting up a conversion guide after i finish my prototype and have the willpower to slow down and take a photo for each step of Suit no. 2 :)


Little Max